In my Pixel 4 wish list I may have overstated my current position on my choosing Android or iOS in my next phone. I wrote:
As my time to upgrade my phone comes around of course I’m left with a choice to go back to iOS or stick with Android. I’m sticking with Android. I really like my current phone OS. iOS 13 looks like a great update but it doesn’t have anything in it that would entice me to leave Android behind yet.
That isn't quite right. I'm watching today's Apple Event closely to see if the new iPhone will entice me away from my Pixel. And, I'll be watching Google's event in October for my wishes of the Pixel 4 before making a hard decision.
With that said, what would I look for in an iPhone 11? And what are other things I'm watching for today? This is that list.
- A more capable image processing system - The iPhone XS takes amazing photos, but somehow the image processing system in the Pixel 2 is still "better". Meaning, it produces more pleasing results by just firing the shutter button. It is arguable, I think, which device captures better data - likely the iPhone XS would win because of the dual-camera system - but the images that are processed seem to be better in every way with the Pixel. So I'd like to see a dramatic update to how iPhone processes images in portrait, low-light, and other modes to produce a better result. No matter what I see today, I won't know until capable reviewers get their hands on them.
- USB-C - I've been spoiled having a laptop, tablet, and phone that all use the same cables. I can't imagine wanting lightning cables ever again.
- Water resistance - I believe the iPhone XS is very water resistant already. But I would be open to this being even more resistant to water damage.
If the iPhone 11 has the above, it would level the playing field between the Pixel and iPhone for me and then it would be a matter of a software and ecosystem decision.
Outliers for today's event:
- A MacBook with a keyboard that works.
- The Apple Watch not taking 4 days to do a software update.
Apple Event days are always fun regardless of what they announce, I expect this one to be no different.