Note: This pieces is now for sale in my Etsy shop.
I'm going to try to keep doing watercolor paintings, maybe even one each week. This week I really wanted to do an owl, so here I present my fifth watercolor in this new effort; The Owl.
I tried a few techniques this time that I hadn't before. Some of them worked out quite well, like under-shading on the Owl (probably hard to see in any of the photos). Some of them didn't work out so well, because I did them wrong, like the snow by using salt. I didn't use enough water to make the salt effective.
The salt, if done right, will cause the watercolor to separate and move away from the salt. It would end up causing a neat effect that would work well for snow, stars, or other textures. But, again, I didn't use enough water for this to work.
There is a lot that I would do differently, if given the chance, so I'm really looking forward to my next crack at another painting next week. Overall I'm thrilled with the way this painting came out - but there are a few subtle things (like the snow) that I wanted to add to this and I simply didn't do it the right way.
Live, learn, move on, try again. Here are some more photos of my watercolor paintings. Next I think I'm going to tackle a Japanese sign.