Photographer. Podcaster. Blogger. Reverse Engineer.

Chrome is bad

December 14, 2020

From Loren Brichter comes Chrome is bad:

So it turns out that Google Chrome was making everything on my computer slow even when it wasn’t running, because it installs something called Keystone which is basically malware. I made a website because this shouldn’t happen.

I’m currently using Safari every single day. It is lightning fast and I love the tab overview feature. I miss Firefox’s Containers feature – but I’m trying my best to stick to apps that are truly Mac apps.

I can’t see a single reason to have Chrome installed on a Mac these days since so many browsers use similar rendering engines. Even on Windows I would think Firefox or Edge would be better. I’ve seen some say they need Chrome for some services but I’d wager only Google services require that.

Comments

Miraz says:

@cdevroe I kept Chrome only to read the local free newspaper. Just tested that to find it does work in Safari, so Chrome is now gone! Thank you.

gregmoore says:

@cdevroe Thanks for this. Another Google hook removed from my machines. Now if i could just figure out how to migrate off of Gmail…🤔

lmika says:

@gregmoore May I recommend FastMail for your emailing needs. I’ve moved to it when Google shutdown Inbox and it’s been great. You can setup automatic pulls from your existing Gmail account meaning you can change your email address over time instead of in one big bang.

+1 for Fastmail. I love it.

JMaxB says:

@gregmoore When I got FastMail, I set things up so that all gmail stuff would appear there too. I’ve been able to switch accounts at my own speed over the course of a year or more without much stress. Very little gmail business remains.

Munish says:

@JMaxB hey there. So many people recommend fast mail. Trying to decide on that offering or Proton mail. You ever tried the latter?

gregmoore says:

Thanks @Imika and @JMaxB 👍🏻 I’ll give them a try. My issue is not a giant archive but a ton of services, billing, and 2-factors go through through that address so it’s scary to know how to move away without screwing myself.

maique says:

@gregmoore Adding my vote for FastMail as Gmail substitute. Using it for years now, since I left Google behind, and couldn’t be happier. More features than I could name, I’m sure you’ll be happy with it if you decide to use the service.

JMaxB says:

@Munish Sorry, I never tried it. I haven’t heard anything bad about it.

gregmoore says:

@maique I’ve heard great things and my needs are bare minimum. It’s less a service issue as it is knowing how to make the switch.

ReaderJohn says:

@Munish I use Protonmail because of its end-to-end encryption and Swiss locus. But I’m a voice in the wilderness: it’s only encrypted between me and others on Protonmail. It’s a bit cludgy on desktop (Mac) because it requires a “bridge” app for encryption functioning.

Munish says:

@ReaderJohn ahhh thanks. Did not realise it only encrypts proton to proton, that’s a bit of a shortcoming. Will take a look and see what I think of it.

@gregmoore When I left Google years ago, I opened my password manager and searched for “gmail.com” and just changed each account to my new email. I kept Google active for about a month then, once confident most accounts were transferred over, I deleted Google. Good riddance, too.

lmika says:

@gregmoore From my experience, FastMail is pretty good at pulling mail from your old Gmail account. I’ve been using FastMail for a year and a half now and I’ve still got loads of accounts that are configured using my old Gmail email address. I’ve had very few issues with emails not come through, and I think the only issues were just delays in the forwarding.

This is also something you can do over time. What I did was setup a FastMail account and Gmail forwarding, and only started using my new email address for new services and other “non critical” communications. Once I’ve got some confidence that things were working, I started changing my email address in services that I’ve signed up for using my Gmail email address.

One last thing: FastMail offers email addresses using their own domain but I’d suggest setting an email address up using a domain that you control (being on Micro.blog, you probably already know this 🙂). They’re got pretty good documentation and checking tools to make this easy.

maique says:

@gregmoore My experience was pretty straighforward. I had one Gmail address and a couple other emails with my own domains. Transfering the domains was pretty simple and, as far as I remember, the Gmail was not too complicated as well. Truth be told I wasn’t using that one much.

ReaderJohn says:

@Munish I could be wrong. Maybe it would work with PGP (if that’s still a thing). Don’t take my word for it. The Protonmail website probably has FAQ.

ReaderJohn says:

@Munish @JMaxB @gregmoore Okay, you have me intrigued about Fastmail. I have a gmail account that’s almost entirely dormant and do most of my email in mac.com (aka iCloud, but I’m an early adopter) and Protonmail. Any compelling case you see for Fastmail?

Munish says:

@ReaderJohn so for someone who works in Cyber, I forgot I had a proton mail account. This is why I stopped using it last time. protonmail.com/support/k… people got annoyed with me 😂🤦🏽‍♂️

gregmoore says:

@Lmika @mariovillalobos @Maique Thanks for the great advice! I’ll be putting those suggestions to use this week. 🙂👍🏻

JMaxB says:

@ReaderJohn I picked Fastmail from several attractive alternatives when I decided to quit gmail, but I don’t have any experience with the competition. Fastmail works very well for me. My son uses Tutanota and thinks it’s fine, and I haven’t heard any complaints about Protonmail. I would say that when a service seems to be obsessive about security beyond a certain point, I start to wonder if it’s a haven for hackers and drug lords — but that’s just my paranoia. If you’re happy with Apple’s mail, why change really?

@lmika @gregmoore Fastmail is great. Been using them for years. Highly recommend.

Cheri says:

@Munish A quick note: I’ve had Protonmail for 2 years, and I like them. BUT, recently we’ve had 3 merchant websites refuse to make accounts with protonmail email addresses. Sadly, some scammers used pm email addresses, and some merchants are blocking protonmail. Very annoying.

ronguest says:

@Cheri Couple of suggestions: Do you have a paid account with them? Have you tried the pm.me domain option? Or since you have your own domain you could connect your domain to protonmail and get email via your domain rather than a protonmail domain.

Cheri says:

@ronguest We have paid accounts. My custom domain email works fine but we’ve had issues with our pm.me addresses. I hope they resolve it!

ronguest says:

@Cheri That sucks. I’ve never had a problem with my pm.me address but I’ve heard others like you who have.

jmreekes says:

@gregmoore Another recommendation for Fastmail from me. I’ve been using them for about 4 years now with no complaints. Lots of features, including labels. I love how Fastmail handles plus addressing. In addition to user+service@domain.com, service@user.domain.com works as well.

jmreekes says:

@gregmoore I use the service@user.domain.com all the time since some services don’t like user+service@domain.com. You can also configure a wildcard with a custom domain so you can use anything@yourdomain.com.

jmreekes says:

@Munish I’ve got a free account with Proton. It’s more expensive than Fastmail and the end to end encryption only works between other Proton addresses.

gregmoore says:

Sorry, @cdevroe I didn’t mean to hijack your post with my own thread. 🤣 I really do appreciate everyone’s answers though.

gregmoore says:

@jmreekes Good advice, thanks. 👍🏻

ridwan says:

@cdevroe I enjoyed the conversation thread but as an average user I have never heard of ProtonMail or Fastmail. I suppose when a product is free, the user becomes the product for the company.

ReaderJohn says:

@Munish I think I knew that once, and I can say that I would hesitate to click the link to the encrypted message for fear of malware or phishing.

@gregmoore I’m still working on moving my email. Winter project.

@gregmoore No worries at all! 🙂

@ridwan I’ll likely be switching to FastMail.

Munish says:

@jmreekes hmmm others just won’t follow the process. Thank for the info

Munish says:

@Cheri that is annoying. Have you moved to an alternative

Cheri says:

@Munish No, we like protonmail enough that we’re giving it some time.

I have Chrome installed for one reason only: to chat with a good friend who won’t use anything else. I used to use Adium, but it won’t do it any more. What are my alternatives to interact with Google Hangouts?

Colin Devroe says:

I don’t know what your alternatives are for Google Hangouts. Just about every platform has video now; iMessage, WhatsApp, etc.