Jeremy Keith wrote on his blog about owning his words, or, being willing to publish his words (snarky or otherwise) on his own site under his own name. I recommend you read his entire post.
But this bit stood out:
I wish I could articulate how much better it feels to only use Twitter (or Medium or Facebook) as a syndication tool, like RSS.
I feel the same way. I sort of tried to articulate the more tangible results of publishing from my site first in Observations about "tweeting" from my site. But let me get into a bit more detail here about not just tweeting but publishing in general.
By publishing to my own web site first...
- I feel like I'm curating a library rather than throwing loose papers into a raging torrent.
- I have the ability to quickly move to another platform if I so wish
- I can choose how things look and feel
- I can track, or not track, any metric I'd like to
- I can publish several different types of media: photos, audio
- I can turn discussion on or off
As Jeremy said, I own my words and photos and audio bits. I love it. As I said in the observations post and even as I wrote earlier this morning; I wish everyone did this.