Menu

Colin Devroe

Photographer. Podcaster. Blogger. Reverse Engineer.

Should I update to Big Sur 11.1?

December 14, 2020

In early November I wrote that I’d be delaying my update to Big Sur. Specifically, I wrote:

I’ll be waiting for at least two releases before I update.

Well, 11.1 came out today. Depending on how you count, it is sort of the third release of Big Sur. There was 11.0, 11.0.1, and now 11.1.

Honestly, I had my eye on updating to Big Sur a few days after 11.2’s release. I figured that would happen sometime in late-January or early February. Surely by then many of the larger issues I’d read about will be resolved.

After reading Craig Mod’s tweets this weekend about Big Sur I’m tempted to update. I realize his comments are flavored by his using an M1 Mac, but that doesn’t make me much less eager to update.

Like hunger, if I wait a little while the feeling will fade away. Only to come back stronger in the near future.

Comments

cfristrom says:

@cdevroe It’s still early, I’d wait for people to try it out first.

cdevroe says:

@cfristrom I hear you, but at this point my guess is there are nearly 5-7 million installs (or roughly 25% of all Mac users). Perhaps I’ll wait another 30 days or so where we’ll be at 50%. But I don’t think we’ll see any updates to macOS until well into the new year.

@cdevroe I’ve been running the betas for a little bit. Beta 1 was rough, but RC seems mostly smooth (for my purposes, YMMV, this only my $0.02, MSRP — dealer may sell for less).

cdevroe says:

@AngeloStavrow haha! I think I only have one or two apps that I use that I would worry about full support – Silverfast is one. Also my own code.

Mentions

  • cdevroe.com
  • cdevroe.com

Leave a Reply